On September 27, 1892, Moscow merchant and art patron Pavel Tretyakov donated his art collection, together with the building where it was displayed, to the city of Moscow. Thus, Moscow acquired a gallery open to the general public, which became one of the world’s leading museums of national art.
Over three decades of a targeted collecting endeavor had preceded the gallery’s transfer to the city. Each picture in the collection of Pavel and Sergei Tretyakov has its own story and its own history.
The project dedicated to the anniversary consists of three parts. In the permanent display, 16 landmark paintings have received extended legends from which museum patrons can learn about the history of creation, provenance and exhibition of those tableaus. The same information is also available from the izi.TRAVEL app and can be accessed via mobile devices using relevant designations in the display. A detailed timeline of the gallery’s transfer to the city can be seen on a website that was specifically set up on the occasion of the anniversary.
December 30, 2017 (Saturday) - the exhibitions are open for visitors as usual.
December 31, 2017 (Sunday) - the exhibitions are open for visitors:
- The Tretyakov Gallery in Lavrushinsky Lane (Main Building and Engineering Building) and the New Tretyakov - until 18.00 (last admission until 17.00).
- Apollinary Vasnetsov Memorial Flat and Victor Vasnetsov Museum - until 17.00 (last admission until 16.00).
January 1, 2018 (Monday) - exhibitions are closed for visiting.
The Tretyakov Gallery in Lavrushinsky Lane (Main Building and Engineering Building) and the New Tretyakov are open for visits from January 2 to 7, working hours as usual. January 8 - day off.
Apollinary Vasnetsov Memorial Flat and Victor Vasnetsov Museum are open for visits from January 3 to 7 as usual, on January 8 and 9 - day off.
Congratulations on the upcoming holidays and we are waiting in the halls of the Tretyakov Gallery!
(with valid ID)